Vegetarian meals are becoming more and more frequent around here. One child is a bona fide carnivore, the other, turns her nose up at the thought of meat. Being the one and only “cooker” as my kids refer to me, I refuse to make several different meals to accommodate picky palates.
So I usually just lie. Yes. I lie.
“These are chicken pot stickers” I said with great enthusiasm today, all while staring down at my shoes trying to not get caught in a fib.
The meat eating child totally bought it and ate the entire plate of pot stickers.
These sound complicated, but are oh so easy once you’ve made one or two. I’ve gone vegetarian here, but you can add ground turkey, chicken, shrimp, or raccoon if you live someplace that actually eats raccoon (please don’t go out and hunt down a raccoon) Serve as an appetizer with your favorite dipping sauce, as a main course with some grilled asparagus and jasmine rice, or with a fragrant vegetable or chicken broth for a light healthy soup. Yum.
- 2 tbs toasted sesame oil
- 2 cups finely shredded and chopped Napa cabbage
- 1 cup finely shredded and chopped carrots
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely diced
- 1 tbs chopped ginger
- 1 tbs plum sauce
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs honey
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Zest of half lemon
- 2 tbs toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup silken tofu drained and patted dry
- 24 round wonton wrappers
- Water for moistening wrappers
- Coconut or canola oil for frying
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add sesame oil. When oil is hot add cabbage, carrots, scallions, garlic, ginger, plum sauce, soy sauce, honey, cilantro, zest and sesame seeds.
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes until veggies are softened but not mushy.
- Remove from heat and add tofu. With the tines of a fork, incorporate tofu until pea sized.
- Refrigerate filling until chilled, 1-2 hours.
- Lay wonton skins out and one at a time, moisten edges and fill center of each skin with 1 tsp of mixture. Fold skin in half forming a semi-circle. Starting at one end pinch edges closed with thumb and finger.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in large sauté pan over medium-high until slightly smoking. Add 6 pot stickers at a time and lightly brown on each side. Lower heat and add 1/4 cup water, cover to steam pot stickers for 2 minutes.
- Repeat with remainder of pot stickers.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce. Yum.