Vegetarian meals are becoming more frequent around my house. One child is a bona fide carnivore, while the other, turns her nose up at the thought of meat. Being the one and only “cooker” as my kids refer to me, I refuse to make several different meals to accommodate picky palates.
So I usually lie. Yes. I. Lie.
“These are chicken pot stickers” I said with great enthusiasm today, all while staring down at my shoes trying not to get caught in fib.
The meat eating child totally bought it and ate the entire plate of pot stickers.
These may look complicated, but are so easy once you’ve made one or two. I’ve gone vegetarian here, but you can add ground turkey, chicken, shrimp or raccoon if you live someplace that’s actually known for eating raccoon (please don’t go out and hunt a raccoon) Serve these as an appetizer with your favorite dipping sauce, as a main course with some grilled asparagus and jasmine rice, or with a fragrant vegetable or chicken broth for a light and healthy soup.
- 2 tbs toasted sesame oil
- 2 cups finely shredded and chopped Napa cabbage
- 1 cup finely shredded and chopped carrots
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tbs chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tbs plum sauce
- 1 tbs chili paste
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs honey
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- Zest of half a lemon
- 2 tbs toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup silken tofu drained and patted dry
- Water for moistening wrappers
- Canola oil for frying
- 1/4 cup water for steaming pot stickers
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add sesame oil. When oil is hot add cabbage, carrots, scallions and ginger. Cook for a minute or so, then add plum sauce, chili paste, soy sauce, honey, herbs, zest and sesame seeds.
- Continue to cook for another minute until veggies are softened but not mushy.
- Remove pan from heat and add tofu, With the tines of a fork incorporate tofu until pea sized.
- Refrigerate filling until chilled, about 1 hour
- Lay wonton skins out one at a time. moisten edges with your finger and fill with 1 tsp of mixture. Fold skin in half forming a semi-circle. Starting at one end pinch edges closed with thumb and finger
- Heat 1 tsp canola oil in large sauté pan over medium-hight heat until slightly smoking. Add 6 pot stickers at a time and cook until lightly brown on each side. Lower heat and add 1/4 cup water. Cover to steam for 2 minutes
- Repeat with remainder of pot stickers
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce