While searching for a weekend escape from our hectic city lives in San Francisco over the winter break, Mendocino seemed like the perfect spot to unwind. This quintessential New England look-alike town is perched on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean - a site I never tire of. Located three hours north of San Francisco by car, it's an easy trip for most people who haven't had the pleasure of traveling with a dog who drools profusely and gets car sick.
Mendocino is an ideal place to be completely unproductive and not feel guilty about it. Of course if you're one those crazy energetic human beings then this place is for you as well. You can go wine tasting, rent a kayak, go to a day spa, visit a gallery, go whale watching, climb a lighthouse, have your aura read...
I'm the unproductive type when it comes to Mendocino.
There are many inns, bed and breakfasts, yurts and homes dotted along the vast coastline to choose from. If you're looking for uber-luxurious accommodations like the Ritz Carlton, you may be out of luck, but a quaint room with high thread count sheets and an ocean view aren't hard to come by. When I travel with my family we usually opt for a cottage or home - with two kids and two dogs we desperately need the space. It also saves us money, cooking meals instead of eating out three times a day makes things a bit easier and a time saver.
I can't recommend Mendocino enough - so if you ever happen to find yourself looking for a respite from the hustle and bustle of the city, any city, head to Mendocino, you won't regret it.
- Winter is a wonderful time to visit Mendocino, rooms and homes are less expensive and the weather is clear and cool. Beware of summer - it can get foggy and quite cold.
- Explore nearby wineries in the Anderson Valley such as Scharffenberger and Husch
- For pet friendly lodging try The Cottages at Little River Cove
- Fort Bragg is the nearest "big" town if you feel you need to see a movie or visit the Tattoo Museum
- Be warned! Wifi is super spotty so if you have any mergers and acquisitions in the works, you might want to check with your inn or rental home to confirm a connection